Dark sky, grey clouds with cool raindrops falling on the face! It’s the time to welcome the first shower of rain. Monsoon has a magical charm which brings happiness and develops a feeling of ecstasy in our heart. It becomes fascinating to embrace the magical monsoon in India. The sweet earthy smell, tiny droplets on the window panes and the excitement to drench yourself in rain is an eternal bliss of life. What could be more soothing than sipping a cup of hot coffee and admiring the misty cloud, green surroundings and splendid rainfall? Have you ever planned a trip to feel this lovely weather in the lap of nature? If not, it’s the correct time to venerate the warmth of this season and turn on your footsteps to the rhythm of the downpour. Planning a journey via train to this spectacular monsoon heavens in India, the best idea to enjoy every drop of rain creating a scenic beauty all over the Indian terrains. It will leave you spellbound. During the course of journey, add extra flavor of fun and adventure by ordering food online in train.
Role of Traveling in our Lifestyle:
Incredible adventures, diversity in cuisines and experiencing locations which are completely new, will unplug and discover new parts within ourselves. No matter wherever you travel! It can be a location outside the country or another city/state; you will be more open to different ways of lifestyle which creates an inherent goodness in you. Travel doesn’t become something you do—it’s a way of life.
E-catering in Indian Trains:
In India, train is considered as the most preferred mode for traveling accompanied by fresh and tasty food. RailRestro, an e-catering company and an official partner of IRCTC, is an online platform through which passengers can order food online during train journey and provide best quality food at nominal cost. E-catering big relief for the passengers as they don’t have to rely on the food sold by the pantry car or at station premises. The service adds a spice and fun to your traveling by offering variety of food items and proffer choices to the passengers.
Top 6 Beautiful Monsoon Destinations in India
Monsoon has arrived in India. There’re beautiful locations which are completely drenched in rain giving you the best travel experience by rail or via road. Though there’re many places to visit in monsoon, but here’s the list of some spectacular monsoon destinations in India to appreciate the beauty of this season.
Lonavala is a popular hill station near Pune and Mumbai. Waterfalls, hills and lakes around Lonavala offer an alluring and enchanting experience of nature’s most beautiful gifted season called monsoon. Surrounded by dense forest, Lonavala is the must visit tourist destination and a soulful weekend spot. Encompassed by thick woods and dams, the place is an absolutely wonderful hill station offering number of adventurous activities as well.
Lonavala is about 64 kilometers away from Pune and 96 kilometers from Mumbai. This place can be easily visited by a private vehicle or private bus service. Lonavala has its own railway station which is well-connected with Mumbai and Pune.
- Nearest Airport: New Pune International Airport, 45kms from Lonavala.
- Railways: Lonavala has its own railway station in the Mumbai-Pune route.. There’re few direct trains from other cities of India up to Lonavala. You can board trains from Mumbai and Pune to reach here.
- By Road: Lonavala is well-connected by the network of highways that links the route of Mumbai and Pune. State buses, private buses, rented cabs and cars are also available from these two cities up to Lonavala.
- Favorable Time to Visit:
Lonavala has something best to offer throughout the year, but monsoon season of June to September is the best time to please your eyes. If you’re with your partner, you can witness the nature in its magical form and you would love to get wrapped in the magic of the season.
- Places to visit
There are couple of places to appreciate the charisma of the city. For sightseeing, you can visit Lion’s point, Tiger point and Bhushi dam that fall in the same route near base market. One can also visit Ramachi Fort, Lonavala Lake; Imagica, and celebrity wax museum. You can also enjoy camping, lakeside dinner, bonfire and music to create memories.
- Cuisines to Taste:
Being a popular tourist destination, the place is laid out with a number of restaurants offering diverse food options. It also serves number of refreshing local treasures. One should try the hot masala chai with spicy vada pav and bhajiyas. Manashakti is the perfect place for a traditional Veg Maharashtrian thali. Do not forget to sip the refreshing cool coconut water and the crunchy chikkis.
Coorg, Karnataka: The “Scotland of India”
Surrounded by the imposing mountains in Karnataka, Coorg is the most affluent destination to enjoy this exotic season. The place is famous for its breathtaking scenery and lush greenery. This lovely destination of India will leave you breathless with its pleasing climate and mesmerizing surroundings. Apart from its natural beauty, the place also offers you to explore its culture and hospitality. The warm welcome of this land will leave you amazed.
How to Reach Coorg:
- Nearest Airport: The nearest airport to Coorg is Mangalore International Airport which is 165 km away from Coorg. When you reach the airport, you can take a cab to reach Coorg.
- Railway Route: Mysore is the nearest railway station to Coorg which is 95 km away. You can hire a taxi from Mysore to reach Coorg. You can also hop on bus operating outside the railway station.
- By Road: You can take KSRTC buses from Mangalore, Bangalore and Mysore to reach Coorg. Coorg is well-connected with the main cities of South India.
- Places to Visit: There’re a number of places to visit in Coorg such as Abbey Falls, Nagarhole National Park, Talacauvery, White River Rafting in Bara Pole River and Raja’s seat.
- Cuisines to Relish:
Coorg is the home of Kodava cuisines that revolves around the staple grain called rice. The specialty of this area is Sannakki which is a fragrant kind of rice. The city satiates your craving with the local cuisines like Akki roti (Rice chapatti), Baimbale curry (a preparation of bamboo shoots) kum curry (preparation of wild mushrooms) and unique pickles of pork, fish, mushrooms, and bitter orange.
Wayanad, Kerala: Nature’s Abode
Wayanad is an ideal destination to replete with enchanting waterfalls and historical caves. It welcomes you to feel the charm of monsoon. It is one of the prettiest areas of Kerala which offers you to enjoy the magic of nature completely wrapped with the green carpet of dense forests. The place is also popular for its spice plantations and wildlife. Wayanad receives heavy rainfall during monsoon that adds a glow in the nature attracting tourists to visit the place. The areas of Wayanad look fresher and greener and people love to visit here for trekking, hikes and natural walks.
How to Reach Wayanad:
- Nearest Airport: Calicut International Airport which is 93 km away from Wayanad. After reaching the airport you can either hire a direct taxi or a local bus to reach Wayanad.
- Train Route: The nearest railway station to reach Wayanad is Nilambur railway station situated 90 km away from Wayanad. To cover the rest of the journey you can catch a direct bus to Wayanad.
- By Road: To travel via road you can hire a cab, can board public bus or self-drive to Wayanad. Wayanad is very well connected with the nearby cities of South India such as Coimbatore, Kozhikode, and Bangalore.
- Places to Visit: Few Locations you can’t afford to miss at Wayanad are Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary,Edakkal Caves,Chembra Peak and Banasura Dam.
- Cuisines to Taste:
Wayanad is influenced by the food culture of Arab, Brahmin, Zamorin and Chirakkal that makes the city a flavorsome hot-pot. Some of the must try dishes are Malabar Paratha, Dum Biryani, Pathiri and rice bread.
Cherrapunji, Meghalaya: Meghalaya’s Dewdrop:
This corner of India is gifted with a unique climate making it a heaven on earth. Cherrapunji is among the best place on the earth with its clean and pristine surroundings. You would love to admire the untouched beauty of this place which is sure to refresh you inside out. The wonderful waterfalls and the flattering pleasant air around compliment the weather. This rainy and cloudy place is also well-known as a perfect monsoon destination to experience the adventure.
How to Reach Cherrapunji:
- Nearest Airport: To reach Cherrapunji, it’s best to reach either Shillong or Guwahati first and then head towards Cherrapunji. Shillong is 60 kms away from Cherrapunji which is the closest airport. Cabs and taxis are easily available from Shillong airport.
- Train Route: If you are planning to travel via train, Guwahati is the nearest railway station.
- By Road: Bus service is quite good and active between Shillong and Cherrapunji.
- Places to Visit: There’re multiple places to visit at Cherrapunji like Double decker living bridge, Dawka, Mawlynnong, Mawsmai Cave and Krem Phyllut.
- Food to Enjoy:
Cherrapunji is home to serve wide range of food options including North Indian, Bengali, Punjabi, and local cuisines. The local cuisine is zesty, refreshing and rich. You must try pork momos and Jadoh along with rice cooked. Rice beer is a compulsory drink that you cannot resist to have.
Kausani is embellished with right ingredients like lush green valley, meandering creeks, and majestic Himalayan peaks. It is one of the most preferred monsoon spots in Uttarakhand which will surprise you. The Jaw dropping beauty of monsoon rain and clouds touching the forests and hill tops will take you to the next level. This beautiful part of Uttrakhnad is blessed with many attractions and a sight of sunset that is surely to leave you enchanted. This place of India is a perfect gateway of honeymooners, nature lovers and vacation makers.
How to Reach
Kasauni doesn’t have an airport or railway station of its own. The convenient way to reach Kasauni is by hiring a cab from New Delhi.
- Nearest Airport: Jolly Grant Airport is the nearest airport which is almost 160 km away from Kasauni.
- Nearest Railway Station: Kathgodam is the nearest railway station to reach Kasauni. It is at a distance of 132 km from Kathgodam station. After reaching Kathgodam, one can easily take the cab or taxi to reach Kasauni.
- By Road: There are regular bus services to Uttrakhand from its neighboring cities. If you’re travelling from Delhi, you can avail the services offered by private buses.
Places to Visit in Kasauni:
- Rudradhari Falls and Caves
- Trek to Pinnath
- Baijnath Temple
- Shopping in Kasauni
Food to Taste:
The restaurant and hotels of Kasuni have lot to serve including continental, Indian, Chinese and some Kumaoni dishes.
Spiti Valley, Himachal: “A Virgin Paradise”
Unforgettable glimpses of cold desert and snow-crowned mountains welcome you to set your foot into Spiti Valley. The place offers you to cherish every moment and lose in its mysterious beauty. Spiti is an adventure lover’s paradise, with a number of trekking trails that tourists would love to do. The mountain ropeway from Kibber to Chichum is also another famous tourist spot that offers spectacular views of the gorge below.
How to Reach
Spiti is situated on the Manali-Leh Highway which is fine to reach Spiti Valley during summer. You can also reach to this place from Shimla via Kinnaur. But, during the natural disturbances, the routes are blocked.You canreach Shimla via Delhi or Chandigarh, there’re many private and public buses running between Shimla and Kinnaur between 5 am to 8 pm. You can also hire shared taxi (Xylo, Scorpio) to reach the place. One can also take a route via Manali to reach this beautiful spot.
- Nearest Airport: To reach the valley, there’s no direct connectivity. The nearest airport is Bhuntar, near Kullu.
- Rail Route: The nearest railway station is Chandigarh that connects the route to Spiti Valley.
Places to Visit
- Chandratal Lake
- Key Monastry
- Pin Valley National Park
- Suraj Tal
Food to Taste:
One can satiate their hunger by North Indian and Israeli dishes in the valley. Thupka, Momo, tea, Chang (a local made beer).
Tips to Travel during Monsoon:
Monsoon season brings a great relief from the scorching heat of the sun and it’s the best time to decide for adventurous trips all over India. But monsoon is also susceptible to certain ailments which can be cured easily by little care and precautions.
- Carry synthetic clothes in your bagpack. They tend to dry faster.
- Use waterproof bags to protect your belongings.
- Say no to street food or station food during your journey.
- Stay updated with the weather report.
- Carry your prescribed medicines. If you’re an asthma patient, keep your inhalers 24*7 with you.
- Buy packaged water. Do not rely on other sources while traveling.
As per the quote of Jerry Yang- “Without rain, there is no life”. It brings the sound of billions of silver drops equally committed to fall as a blessing on earth. Enjoy the season with utmost optimism and positivity.