Horrible, sweet, romantic, thriller, wild, strange, golden, pleasant, mysterious, bewildering, idle, ambitious dreams can be of any kind, depends on the state of mind that we possess while sleeping. Thoughts are the most precious part of sleep. Some dreams soothe your soul, some provide mental relief, some may be nightmarish hell, while some may leave you numb for the whole day. Ever wondered how life would be without dreams? No point. In fact, there can’t be any life without dreams. Here are some mind-blowing facts about dreams, you might not be knowing:
- Dream tenure: A human being on an average spends 6 whole years of his/her life dreaming. Isn’t that so much of time!
- Memory limit: There’s a specific time limit to how much you can remember about your dream. An average person forgets his/ her dream only within five minutes since you woke up. After 10 minutes of waking up, 90 percent of the dream is gone within a blink.
- Everyone can dream: There is not even one person who doesn’t dream, excluding those who have mental disorders.
- Familiarity: Sometimes, you might not remember the person in your dream. However, it’s impossible to keep track of thousands of faces that you come across every day. But you dream of only those people whom you might have encountered in life.
- Colourful or colourless: Some dream in colours and some in black and white. If a person has grown up watching black and white television, he/she is more likely to dream in black and white than coloured. In a recent survey, only 12% of sighted people, imagined in black and white or colourless.
- Symbolism: Remember, all the weird things you dream are all symbols. There’s nothing strange about these dreams because they only talk in a symbolic language like poems
- Animals also dream: Just like humans, animals too dream.
- Inventions inspired by dreams: Many greatest inventions of humanity are the successful result of dreams. A few examples include:
- The idea for Google – Larry Page
- AC (alternating current) generator – Tesla
- DNA’s double helix spiral form – James Watson
- The sewing machine Elias Howe
- Periodic table Dimitri Mendeleev
That’s nice, dream and invent!
- Premonition dreams: There are a few astounding cases where people actually dreamt of things which happened to them in future, precisely in the same ways they imagined about. All those got a glimpse of their future, or it’s just coincidence. This is some seriously amazing and weird phenomena. Some of the most famous unpleasant dreams include:
- Abraham Lincoln dreamt of his Assassination.
- Many of the victims of 9/11 had dreams warning them about the catastrophe.
- Mark Twain’s dream about his brother’s demise.
- 19 verified prerogative dreams about the Titanic catastrophe.
- Sleep paralysis: Sleep paralysis is real hell. It’s the perfect stuff of real nightmares. Two characteristics of sleep paralysis are the inability to move (hence palsy) and a sense of an extremely evil presence in the room along with you.
- REM sleep disorder: During REM (rapid-eye-movement) stage, your body is usually paralysed. However, people act out their dreams (in rare cases). These have resulted in broken arms, legs, furniture, and also a house burnt down. Shocking!
- Sleepwalking: Sleepwalking is a potentially dangerous sleep disorder. It is an extreme form of REM sleep disorder in which people walk out of their bed to go on real adventures at night.
- Dream drug: Some people never want to wake up from their dreams. For this, they take an illegal and extremely potent hallucinogenic drug called Dimethyltryptamine.
- Increased brain activity: Sleeping is not at all associated with peace, but our mind is more active during sleep than during the day.
- Dreams Speak Through Our Subconscious: You might have felt similar dreams reoccurring repeatedly. The reason may be an undone task or feeling in the mind that needs to accomplished in reality. These dream acts are a reminder for the job to be done.
Just stay true to yourself, yet always be open to learning. Work hard, and never give up in up on your dreams, even when nobody else believes they can come true but you. These aren’t clichés but real tools you need no matter what you do in life to stay focused on your path. So, keep dreaming!