Home Made Cough Syrups
The season is very weird these days!
The first thing which gets affected is the immune system. And the most common problem which people face is cold and cough.
We visit a doctor and pop up some pills which he gives. Or simply popping up a paracetamol is something which people feel does wonder! Which actually helps. But for how long?
If you are suffering from a cough, the first thing you reach out to is a cough syrup. But wait, before taking your cough syrup, do you check the composition?
Well, I had taken a survey once where I had asked people that on what basis they select the cough syrup for them. I got weird answers and the weirdest answer was, “I purchase a cough syrup after I see a television ad!”
Isn’t it the riskiest thing you could do for your body? It might give you instant relief, but it might give you a long term ailment as well!
What if I tell you that you can make your own cough syrup and get instant relief as well?
I have 2 recipes for you. You can give it a try as per your choice and convenience!
Recipe one of Home Made Cough Syrups: –
Main ingredients: –
- Glycerine: – I am sure not everyone knows about this, but glycerine helps in a soothing cough due to its demulcent (relieves inflammation/ irritation) properties. And that’s not all, it’s an excellent preservative too! So now, you can store it for a longer time!
- Lemon: – It is a very rich source of Vitamin C which acts as a powerful antioxidant and helps in boosting the immune system as well. Lemon helps in suppressing cold and cough and gives a soothing effect to the throat.
- Honey: – This is our grandma’s remedy for getting rid of all the health problems! It has antimicrobial properties which help in fighting respiratory infections.
The method of preparation of cough syrup: –
- Take a bowl, add 1/4th cup of food grade glycerine.
- After adding food grade glycerine, add 1/4th cup of honey.
- Blend it well. Add 1/4th cup of lemon juice to the mixture.
- Blend the mixture thoroughly.
- Once completely blended, transfer it to a durable jar in which you can store this cough syrup.
- 1 tsp of cough syrup every 2 hours for 3 days.
Recipe Two of Home Made Cough Syrups: –
There is only one ingredient which has to be replaced from recipe one. Instead of glycerine, ginger juice needs to be added!
Ginger is a natural decongestant which helps in giving a soothing effect to the throat and it has antioxidant, antimicrobial properties as well.
The method of preparation: –
- Peel ginger root and cut it into slices.
- Prepare a lemon zester (grated lemon) and keep it aside.
- Take a pan and add 150 ml of water to it.
- Add 1/4th cup of ginger root slices.
- Add 1 and ½ spoon of lemon zest (Grated lemon).
- Boil the solution and once it boils, sim it for 5 minutes.
- Take a clean strainer and strain the solution which was boiled.
- Take another saucepan, add 1 cup of honey and heat it for 3 minutes.
- Add the strained solution to the heated honey.
- Add lemon juice to the solution (Approximately 2 lemons).
- Keep stirring the solution and heat it for 5 minutes.
- Once it turns brown, pour the solution in a durable jar.
- Once done, your solution is ready to use!
- ½ tsp every 2 hours for ages 1-5 years.
- 1 tsp every 2 hours for ages 5 to 12 years.
- 2 tbsp. every 4 hours for ages above 13 years.
- Not recommended for children under 1 year of age. It might lead to severe reactions.
- If refrigerated, shelf life is 3 months for both cough syrups.
- Buckwheat honey can be preferred.
- If you run short of fresh ginger, dried ginger can also be added which is most commonly known as saunth in Hindi.
- 3 drops of ginger juice can be added in recipe one.
Isn’t it getting easier to stay healthy with these homemade cough syrups?
Any questions for me? Mention in the comment section below!